CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 4, 2008

New Mixed Media Pendants

A few months ago, I found a set of 28 flat, screen-painted wood dominoes at Target.  For ONE dollar.  

I had no idea what I'd end up doing to them, but I knew I had to have them.  And they sat around forever.  Every time my nephew saw them, he said, "Me want that!" Every time he did, I considered giving them to him, but in the back of my mind, I knew I needed them.  And I did.  I needed them so I could make these fabulous new necklaces.  So after several hours of priming (paint wouldn't stick at first so they had to be sanded and primed) and painting and snipping and glueing and sorting buttons and bingo chips and beading and stringing, here is what happened.  A few of my favorites have a close-up shot, but all of these will be appearing in my Etsy Shop tonight.  And for only $9 with FREE shipping.  

All of the necklaces nested into a velvet-lined box. 

Sing:  The Chaffinch

Simple Things

Live Well This Life

Mama said there'd be days like this.

Cow Girl

You all missed out on "If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit by me" because I sold that one at Jewett, as well as a couple other ones.

What you need to make your own: 
Dremel
Hemp Cording 
Old Junk items such as buttons, bits of doilies, lace, bingo chips, etc.
Domino blanks of some sort
Crafter's Pick Ultimate water-based super glue
Beads
Scissors
Old paper goods from which to select cool pictures or images
Sandpaper & Primer (maybe)
Shoe Polish or oil paint
Matte Spray

How to: 
Test your dominoes and see if paint sticks.  If not, sand them and paint them a base color. 
Glue your images to the domino, and let dry.  
Glue words, if any, to the domino, and let dry. 
Glue junk to the domino, careful not to cover up the spot you want to drill the hole, and let dry.  
Optionally, you can stain the necklace at this point with oil paint, shoe polish, or some other grunge-up medium.  
Drill a hole in the top middle, or at both top corners with the dremel. 
Tie a length of hemp cording into the holes with a slip-knot, and then thread the ties through a bead/group of beads.  Tie this off, and then tie the two strands together to form the loop through which your head will go.  Be careful not to cut the cording too short to go over your head. 
Optionally, you can put jewelry closures on the cording if you want a shorter necklace.  


0 comments: